With oats in the media this morning on it’s heart and gut benefits, I spoke to Ciara Plunkett from KFM on how to incorporate them into our diets and why they are so good for us.
Why are oats good for us:
- Balance our blood sugars, thus giving us a steady increase of energy
- Aid weight loss as they keep us fuller for longer
- Heart healthy, lowering our risk of high cholesterol
- Packed full of vitamins (such as magnesium, B vitamins, iron & zinc)
- Great for chicken pox, psoriasis or eczema – put a cup full in a net and place them in the bath. The oats release a creamy substance to sooth the itch.
How to incorporate them into our diets:
- Liven up your porridge by adding half a grated apple or pear
- Sprinkle milled nuts & seeds over your porridge for extra flavour and added protein
- Switch your porridge for overnight oats or two different types of granola instead. Quick granola & crunchy granola
- Increase the nutritional benefits of plain pancakes with these delicious ones
- Try these energy balls for a healthier treat
Listen to my interview with Ciara below for more tips (click the very left of the black area – for some reason the play sign isn’t showing, thanks!)