There’s no getting away from the tins of biscuits, boxes of chocolates and party food everywhere you turn this month, so try these simple tips to keep you looking and feeling as great when you leave, as when you arrived.
- Eat before you go. That way you don’t arrive ravenous and eat all around you.
- Bring your own! Hummus & crudités are great for a party and a welcomed alternative for everyone. Unsalted nuts are tasty and highly nutritious providing essential nutrients such as calcium, magnesium & zinc.
- If you are tempted by the foods on offer, avoid anything deep fried and bite size nibbles such as sausage rolls and cheese balls – the calories soon mount up.
- Alcohol dehydrates you, so if you plan to consume alcohol, drink plenty of water. Alternating between alcohol and water when you’re having a drink or two will prevent you from drinking too much, too quickly and will also reduce your risk of a hangover the next day. Holding two drinks (one being water!!) will also help avoid the temptation of nibbling as your hands will be full!
- Coconut water is great for re-hydrating the body too.
- Make healthier choices on the cheese board and opt for goat’s cheese, red leicester or cheddar, rather than brie or camembert. Choose water biscuits, breadsticks or crisp breads over french stick and crackers.
- Digestive enzymes are great for helping your digestion when you’ve eaten too much or feel like your food is just sitting in your stomach. Ask your local health store for more information.
More tips on enjoying Christmas can be found here
A few useful articles to keep for January!