This is a really handy fall-back recipe, allowing you to use whatever is in the fridge and cupboard for a nutritious and tasty meal. Just choose your protein, vegetables and seasoning from the options below.
Protein rich foods:
- 312g (11oz) tofu or tempeh cubed
- 2 medium chicken breasts diced
- 142g (5 oz) filleted fish, cubed
Spring onions and garlic, then choose from carrots, celery, peppers, courgette, broccoli, courgettes, cauliflower, sugar snap peas, runner beans, water chestnuts, mushrooms, bean sprouts, bamboo shoots and so on, ensuring there’s enough to fill half your plate.
- Thai: a handful of chopped fresh coriander, 1 teaspoon green curry paste with of coconut milk
- Chinese: 1 teaspoon tamari (or soy sauce), 2.5cm (1 inch) finely chopped ginger, and 2 cloves crushed garlic
- Indian: 1 teaspoon coriander, 1 teaspoon cumin and ½ teaspoon turmeric
- Japanese: ginger, tamari or soy sauce, teriyaki or yakitori sauce (try Kikkoman’s, available in supermarkets)
Steam fry onion and garlic in your chosen seasoning. Add protein rich food and stir fry until cooked.
Add your chosen vegetables, stir-fry briefly, then add a tablespoon of water and clamp on the lid.
Steam until vegetables are cooked but still crunchy.