Most of us take it for granted we’ll be having pancakes on Shrove Tuesday but for a lot of people, pancakes are a big no-no. Why? Because they are unable to tolerate one or more ingredient, such as wheat, gluten, dairy or egg. Do you bloat after your yearly dose of pancakes and put it down to just eating too many? It may be due to food intolerances. For those of you who have had to cut out pancakes because the pain you suffer afterwards is just too much to bare, fear no more….
Gluten, Dairy, Egg Free Pancakes
- 100g / 4oz buckwheat flour or 100g plain gluten free flour
- 1 egg; egg replacer or banana
- 250 ml milk or rice / soya milk / almond / oat
- 1 banana * optional
- Sunflower Oil for frying
- With the flour in a bowl, make a well in the centre and add the egg (egg replacer or banana) and half of the milk. Beat well until thick and smooth. Stir in the remaining milk.
- Mash or blend the banana and add to mixture.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and pour in just enough batter to coat the base of the pan.
- Cook until set and the base of the pancake is golden brown. Toss or flip over. Cook the other side.
- Serve with a selection of mixed fruits such as blueberries / mango or with just a little lemon.
Alternative healthy toppings:
- Natural yogurt with strawberries & blueberries
- Banana and chopped/flaked almonds.